South End Patch
Monday, November 28, 2011
Today is Monday, November 28. Here are five things you need to know today:
- Partly sunny skies today with areas of fog in the morning. Highs in the lower 60s. Wind gusts up to 25 mph.
- The Hurley School announced an 8 percent increase in its math MCAS scores from last spring’s test, earning the South End school a number five spot on the list of most improved schools in the district. Seventy-three percent of Hurley students are now proficient or above in English and mathematics, with third grade students leading the way in the math category with 90 percent scoring proficient or above. In English, 81 percent of third graders tested proficient or above, despite half the student population speaking Spanish as a first language.
- Public skating hours have begun at many rinks operated by the Department of Conservation and Recreation. To find a rink near you, click here.
- Picture this: your children cooking you dinner while you sit back and relax. Sound good? The Boston Center for Adult Education is offering kids cooking classes led by celebrity chefs and next Monday, your child could be whipping up a meal with the notorious Andy Husbands of Tremont 647. The interactive class runs from 3:30–4:30pm and costs $45. Call (617) 267-4430 or click here to register.
- Missed out on the news last week? Check out our week in review.