The Hurley K–8 public school is a Spanish-English immersion school located in Boston’s South End. At the Hurley, we challenge students to learn in two languages and achieve academic excellence in both. Hurley’s hallmarks are a committed, talented teaching staff, an intensive language arts curriculum, a dedication to math and science fluency, a strong commitment to the arts and an innovative afterschool program that egages our children in a wide variety of extra-curricular activities.
The mission of the Hurley is to graduate students who perform at high academic levels in English and Spanish. Because our students are culturally and linguistically diverse, they study, understand and appreciate the contributions of numerous cultures to our society.
I was thrilled to discover a public school offering this innovative two-way bilingual curriculum here in my own neighborhood. My daughter thrived in the warm yet academically challenging environment of the Hurley School. Every school in Boston should be like this one.
Kay Carson, parent
- The Hurley currently enrolls approximately 350 students.
- We have 18 classroom teachers as well as para-professionals in grades K1–2nd.
- Enrichment programming including visual art, performing arts, woodworking, music, library science, physical education and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) enlivens the school day.
- Over half our families speak Spanish as a first language.
- Hurley parents raise more than $100K a year from the community to support our programs.
- We have a state-of-the-art turf field which is used by the students during gym, recess and afterschool.
- Our Bodega de Arte afterschool program offers a variety of clubs, enrichment programs and academic help to extend our school day.
- Although more than half our students test into Advanced Work programs each year, very few parents choose to leave the Hurley — they know their children will receive a richer education here.